If you or someone you care about is having a hard time with mood swings, feelings, emotions, situations or memories, you may decide it’s time to seek professional help. If sadness, guilt, feelings of worthlessness, anxiety, racing thoughts, problems with sleeping or eating or, any other symptoms start to interfere with your work, social, or personal life, or if you experience a sudden change in mood that makes you feel “not yourself,” a professional may be able to help.
When receiving treatment from your health care professional, you have a right to expect certain things no matter who you are, what challenges you face, or how much money you have.
- Privacy, confidentiality, and respect
- Sensitivity to your needs and cultural background
- An understandable explanation of what is the matter and all of your treatment options
- Freedom to express yourself
- Freedom to find another professional if you are not satisfied with your treatment or don’t think it’s working as well as it should